White Rose Dragon
Slifer Red
Slifer Red

Contribution : 587
Warning : 2nd Warning

Back to top Go down

Re: Light and Darkness

Post by The Very Ugly Duckling on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 pm

It looks good Rose. There are, however, a few problems. The main problem is the depth. Depth is achieved through several means: composition, lighting, and overlapping. You have a decent composition, but the foreground you chose to use lacks proper lighting and overlapping-- thus making it flat. So we must fix it by adding back lighting and enhancing the illusion of overlapping. To do this one must know a basic principles of lighting. That being, the darkest dark is always closest to the viewer (foreground) along with the lightest light. Why? Simply put atmospheric perspective. Meaning, there are water droplets and such particles in the air that skewer our vision the further out we look. A quick example would be to look outside or far away. Don't the colors closet to you seem more vibrant/a darker value then the ones further away-- which appear to be more dull/a lighter value. Case in point, use a value system for your GXF (http://www.artistsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/5-landscape-value-scale.jpg). The darkest dark/white towards the front, with the value going down (getting lighter) with each new element (foreground, middle ground, background-- a different value for each of these). It is ofc much more complicated than that, but this is a general start.

In the future a way to instantly add depth is to have a bunch of overlapping. Overlapping, to me, is the number one way to create depth. Overlapping also deals with composition so it kills two birds with one stone, so to speak. Then lighting.

I took about 15 minutes to quickly fix what I could in that time. Needless to say this is not a final product. In fact if I were to have more time, I would of made certain parts brighter-- after I followed the rules above. Why? Because our eyes are attracted to things with the highest contrast. Meaning if I look at a red dot, blue dot, and white dot, on a black backdrop, my eyes are first going to go to the white because it has the greatest contrast. Anyways, hope this helped some.

Spoiler:

Best card ever: Made by Creepy:
The Very Ugly Duckling

Contribution : 247
Warning : No warning

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

:: Main Hall :: Graphics :: Showcase

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum